Whether you have young pets or older ones, there are certain household hazards to be aware of. Puppies and kittens can get into trouble while exploring different parts of your home out of curiosity. Adult dogs and cats can also end up getting hurt or sick from common household dangers for pets. Keep the following tips in mind to make your home as safe as possible for your pets.
Some types of foods are toxic to dogs, cats or both. Chocolate, grapes, raisins, onions, garlic and macadamia nuts are among the foods that can make pets, especially dogs, seriously ill. You should store these foods out of your pet’s reach, and immediately pick up any that falls on the floor before your pet can get it.
Certain household plants and flowers can cause potentially life-threatening illnesses in dogs and cats if they ingest them. For example, lilies, amaryllis, daffodils, tulips and hyacinths are considered toxic to cats. For dogs, azaleas, irises, sago palms, begonias and philodendrons are among the plants that are considered toxic to dogs. You should avoid having these types of plants inside your home to lower the risk of your pet ingesting them. If you do have any plants that are toxic, you should keep them in an area that your pets can’t get to, such as high on a shelf or in a closed-off room.
Medications and Cleaning Products
Medications and cleaning products can make pets dangerously ill if they swallow or ingest them. You should store these items in cabinets that your pets can’t get into. Consider installing childproof latches on cabinets to prevent your pets from being able to open them.
Wires and Cords
These items can become strangulation hazards in your home, especially when you have curious pets around. Wires and cords also put pets at risk of electrical shock if they chew on them or play with them. Hide cords and wires out of reach of your pets, and use childproof window blind products to prevent your pets from playing with these types of cords.
String and Small Items
Dogs and cats can end up with serious injuries if they swallow pieces of string or small items, such as buttons. This can happen if they chew on clothes or get into sewing supplies. You can reduce this risk by keeping clothing items, shoes and craft supplies stored away in an area that your pets can’t reach. You should also check your rugs and furniture for strings or small items that might have fallen off clothes or other objects before your pets find them.